The app comes with three template files: Default.xlsx, Blue.xlsx and Earth.xlsx, stored in the following folder:
c:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\BoostExcel\Flowchart Maker\Template\
Each flowchart template contains two worksheet, "Flow Data" and "Legend".
When you click the "New Flow Data Sheet" command on the ribbon, the "Flow Data" sheet is copied from the template to the active workbook file. To make it easier for you to understand and test the app, a sample process list is included. You can clear the sample process list when you're no longer need it.
The "Legend" sheet stores the block shapes, connector shapes and decision labels shapes used by the Flowchart Maker app. When generating a new flowchart diagram, the shapes stored in the template are copied to chart sheet.
Choose Active Template
The active template is the template that will be used when you click "Create / Update Flowchart" command on the "Flowchart" ribbon tab.
To choose the active template, expand the "Template" drop-down list, and then choose the template you want to use.
Create Your Own Template
To create your own template, first copy any existing template, assign the new file a suitable file name such as "MyCompany.xlsx".
Then, open your new template file and modify the shapes as you wish.
To modify the style of a block shape:
- Go to the "Legend" sheet.
- Click and select the shape object you want to update. Be sure to click a point near the border of the shape. If you click the center of shape, Excel thinks you want to edit the text and thus put the embed text box into editing mode, instead of selecting shape.
- Go to Excel's "Shape Format" ribbon.
- Don't change the shape type and name. Besides that, you can modify shape fill, shape outline, shape effects, text fill, text outline and text effects etc.
The rate of width/height will also be kept when creating a new flow diagram. The actual width and height of each block shape will be resized according to the text embedded.
The decision label shape could be any auto-shape type that allows to insert text into it. The sample template "Earth.xlsx" replaces the default text box shape with a start shape.
To change a shape type of the decision label, follow the steps below:
- Go to the "Legend" sheet.
- Click and select the shape in the "Decision Label" section.
- Go to Excel "Shape Format" ribbon tab.
- From the "Insert Shapes" group, click "Edit Shape", and then "Change Shape Type".
The template shows how each connector looks like. You can modify the connectors as you modify the block shapes. However, don't change shape types and names.
When creating a new flowchart diagram, the connector type selected from the ribbon drop-down list will be used.
Once a chart is generated, you can update one or multiple connector types by right-click the selected connectors, and then choose "Connector Types" from the shortcut menu.