You are safe to download the resources. We've added our digital signatures to the files.
Download this if you have already installed the Microsoft Store edition of Invoice Manager for Excel, and are looking for additional customized templates.
Download this if you want this design to be set as the default template by the installer program.
Screenshots and Images
The printed version.
Open the template in Excel.
Many times you have only 1 or 2 items to bill your clients. In these situations a whole page of paper seems a waste. Here is how we implement a 1/2 page invoicing template (half page invoicing format).
This simple template sample will be created from c4051 Simple Invoicing Sample - Discount Amount Field. Like the other tutorials and samples in this serial here on InvoicingTemplate.com, we'll mainly focus on how to do the customization. You can also refer to Creating and Customizing Invoice Template for more information on the important techniques involved in the customization of our Excel billing forms. For a quick tutorial movie on creating invoice, visit the tutorial on creating an invoice.
Note that our goal is to not only create an invoice design that is printable on half paper size, but also make sure it work with Invoice Manager for Excel, which is our invoicing software system for Windows desktop PCs running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 (Microsoft Office or Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013 or Excel 2016 is also required). Uniform Invoicing Software is an offline desktop invoicing app that does not require an Internet connection to run. By installing Invoice Manager for Excel, a simple and pure Excel spreadsheet invoicing template becomes a complete invoicing management system. Invoice Manager for Excel is implemented as an Excel COM add-in program, which means we don't use Excel macros to implement those advance features like connection with Access database. So, you don't have to change the security settings of your Office / Excel program in order to run Invoice Manager for Excel, and all our templates here on InvoicingTemplate.com are not protected with passwords, which enable you to modify and customize the template to make sure it meets your business requirements exactly. Simply put, with Invoice Manager for Excel, no matter you are a sole trader, home business, small business, limited company (ltd), you can generate professional and beautiful invoices and receipts without having to deal with complex accounting and billing systems that are usually expensive and hard to use.
Now let's see how we can customize an existing invoicing design, in this case c4051 Simple Invoicing Template - Discount Amount Field, so that it can be printed on a half of the set paper size. You may like to see other simple customizing tutorials that deals with printing of invoices too, such as c4052 Simple Invoice Format - Changing Paper Size and c4053 Simple Invoice Design - Changing Print Orientation. It is also possible on a single 8.5 inch X 11 inch page to print two duplicate copies of 8.5 X 5.5 invoices, see c4067 Invoice Design with Two Invoices per Page for a sample , so that for example you can send one copy to the client, and send the another copy to your accountant department for bookkeeping. Also refer to printable Print Shop Bill Format, where you can find a printable billing form designed for print shop.
Now let's see the steps involved to create this 1/2 page template.
- As always, you need to back up the Excel spreadsheet template (and maybe the database file).
- Open the template as usual.
- Switch to design mode by clicking the "Design Mode" button on the "Invoice" ribbon tab. This command unprotect the "Invoice" worksheet, show gridlines and row / column headings. If you don't have Invoice Manager for Excel installed, do these manually. However it is highly recommended to download and install Invoice Manager for Excel. The trial version that works with the trial period (30 days) is fully functional within the trial period. After the trial period, if you want to keep the program, simply buy a license key and unlock it.
- Go to Excel ribbon "Page Layout" tab and choose "Size" from the "Page Setup" group. Note the paper size of the current template - in this sample, it is "Letter 8 1/2 inch X 11 inch". A half of it would be "8.5 X 5.5" inch.
- Click "Margins" and then "Custom Margins" in the "Page Setup" ribbon command group. This opens Excel "Page Setup" dialog box with the "Margins" tab activated.
- From the "Center on page" group, uncheck the "Horizontally" and "Vertically" options. Click OK to close the "Page Setup" dialog box.
- Go to Microsoft Excel "View" ribbon tab. Push down the "Page Layout" option on the "Workbook Views" group. This switch the worksheet into page layout view, and the rulers show on the top and left of the worksheet window.
- Note that at this time the invoicing form occupy the entire printable area of the paper (which is 8 1/2 inch on width and 11 inch on height). To make sure the billing form could be printed on a half of the paper, we need to make sure the printable invoice form occupy only 5.5 inch (a half of the total height 11 inch).
- To do this, we first hide 8 lines on the bottom of the invoice detail section, so that only 4 lines are left. To hide a row, right-click on the row heading and then choose "Hide" from the shortcut menu.
- We also adjust the line heights to make sure each line occupies less space on the vertical direction. In the original design, the row height of most lines is 0.25. In this sample, we change this to 0.20. To adjust the height of a row, right-click the heading of a row and choose "Row Height" from the shortcut menu.
- In this sample, we also moved several rarely used cells out of the printable form, such as "Country" in the "Bill To" and "Ship To" section. For detailed instructions on how to move cells / fields, visit c5075 Simple Sample - Moving Balance and Payment Cells.
- If you are following this tutorial, make sure the last row on the printable area (in this sample, row 40) does not exceed a half of paper (5.5 inch). If it does exceed, hide more rows, and make the visible lines smaller on heights.
- If necessary, go to Excel File / Print Preview to check the printing result. Make further modifications and customizations as needed.
- Switch back to "Normal" view by pushing down the "Normal" button in the "Workbook Views" group on Excel "View" ribbon tab.
- Once done, exit design mode by clicking the "Design Mode" button on the "Invoice" ribbon tab.
- Save the template by clicking the "Save" button on Excel quick access toolbar.
Format and Specification
|Name||1/2 Page Invoice Template|
|Category||Sales Invoice Template|
|Release Date||Monday, February 29, 2016|
|Format (XLS or XLSX)||.xlsx|
|Line Height (Points)||14.25|
|Papaer Size / Orientation||Portrait|
|Default Margins (Points)|
|System||Windows 7 and later, and Excel 2007 and later.|