You are safe to download the resources. We've added our digital signatures to the files.
Download this if you have already installed the Microsoft Store edition of Invoice Manager for Excel, and are looking for additional customized templates.
Download this if you want this design to be set as the default template by the installer program.
Screenshots and Images
The printed version.
Open the template in Excel.
Large number businesses ask their clients to deposit a percentage of total amount as advance payment. This basic service invoice template with deposit deduction helps you create deposit invoices with easy and quick.
While the default template comes with Invoice Manager for Excel, which is our Microsoft Excel-based invoicing software program, already support dawn payment and security deposit, this feature is not specially documented (or many users simplify overlook this layout. With Invoice Manager for Excel, each invoice / receipt can have several payments posted to it. When you click the "Save Invoice" button on the task pane, it not only generates a new invoice# for you automatically, there is also a "New Payment" window appears that allows you to save deposit or advance payment, including payment details like Payment Date, Total Payment, Payment Type, Reference Document#, as well as a fillable "Notes" field where you can fill in any additional information.
With Invoice Manager for Excel, if an invoice / receipt is overpaid then the overpaid amount becomes "credit" under the customer's account. The credit amount can then be applied to other invoices as payment. We've already published template for creating credit note (credit memo) here on InvoicingTemplate.com, at Free Credit Memo Template, or Service Credit Note Template, or Debit Note Template. If you prefer to take the security deposit or advance payment based on the percentage of the total receipt / invoice amount, such as for car rental / house rental / freelance design work / website development job, here is the template you can try at Advance Payment Invoicing Template.
The default template shipped with Invoice Manager for Excel has a simple "Paid" and "Balance Due" or "Amount Due" cells on the bottom of the invoicing form, and the "Paid" field was not manually fillable (this is by design and in purpose). The purpose of this design is to encourage the end-users to use the "New Payment" window to post payments, instead of filling payment amount directly into the invoicing form when creating invoices. One of the advantages of using the "New Payment" window is that you have full and complete details regarding the payment, and the "Payment Report" is able to show only the payment records created using the "New Payment" window.
However one of the disadvantages of using a separate "New Payment" window is that, the options is not so obvious (you need to click the "Save Invoice" button). Sometimes you simply need to enter the payment method and payment amount, according to the agreement between you and the client, but don't really care about the other details about the payment, nor the "Payment Report" either. So in this sample invoice template with deposit, we'll add a new "Deposit" field and the original "Balance Due" cells back into the printable form, the later field was moved out in the sample c5075 Simple Sample - Moving Balance and Payment Cells. This time, we'll create a service invoice template, using the billing format / receipt format created in c5077 Simple Template - Moving Shipping Address as a starting point of the customization. To add a little detail to the deposit payment, we'll create and use another custom field called "Deposit Payment Method", to let you enter payment method information like cash, check, wire transfer or bank transfer etc. For a simple and quick tutorial on how to add / use custom fields (i.e. user-defined fields) in your bill format, visit c4051 Simple Invoice Template - Discount Amount Field.
This template is created as a service invoice template. If your business is less service orientated, but more about selling products to the customers than you may want to take a look at our Sales Invoice Template. All templates on our site, InvoicingTemplate.com, can be downloaded for free. To make your invoicing template a fully featured invoicing software app. While not as powerful and expensive as some accounting software system, Invoice Manager for Excel does provide complete features required by a small business for invoicing and management of customers, products, invoices and payments.
Now let's see the detailed steps involved to move back the "Total Due" cell and how to add the "Deposit" and "Deposit Payment Method" fields.
- First, back up the template and database file. In this customization of the invoice / receipt template, we'll need to modify the database to add the custom fields. Even you are very familiar with Invoice Manager for Excel and know exactly what to do, it is still recommended that you back up the template and database file before customizing it.
- Open the template as usual.
- Click the "Design Mode" button on the "Invoice" worksheet. This switch the Excel worksheet into design mode, and also shows the gridlines and row / column headings.
- Click the cell where you want to put the "Deposit" field (In this case, $K$40). Name the cell "oknDeposit".
- Click and select the cell to the left of "oknDeposit", i.e. $J$40, enter the text label "Deposit".
- Click the cell at $I$40 and name this cell "oknDepositPaymentMethod".
- Enter the label "Deposit Payment Method" for the field "oknDepositPaymentMethod" at $H$40.
- Push down CTRL key on your keyboard, click the cells "oknDepositPaymentMethod" ($I$40) and "oknDeposit" ($K$40) respectively without releasing the CTRL key. Right-click on of the selected key and choose "Format Cells from the shortcut menu.
- Choose "Format Cells". This shows the "Format Cells" dialog box.
- Go the "Protection" tab and clear the "Locked" property. Click OK to close the "Format Cells" dialog box.
- Select the name "oknPayments" from the name drop down list on the left-side of the formula bar. Excel selects the cell named "oknPayments" on the spreadsheet for you ($B$39).
- With the "oknPayments" ($B$39) cell still selected, drag the border of the selection box to move it into the printable area. In this sample, we put the "oknPayments" cell underneath the "Total" cell, at $K$90.
- Create the text label for this cell at $J$39 "Paid".
- Drag your mouse to select both the text label "Total Due" and its corresponding field at $P$40:$Q$40. Drag the border of the selected area to move it to the destination location $J41:$K41 in the printable area.
- Click to select the cell at $H$40, and the text label "Deposit Payment Method".
- Fine-tune the text colors, cell borders and fonts as you needed.
- Modify the formula of the "Total" cell, so that it becomes "=ROUND(oknSubTotal + oknShippingCost - oknDeposit+ IF(oknTaxType=0,0,IF(oknTaxType=1,oknTax1,oknTax1+oknTax2)),2)". As this shows, we are deducting the deposit amount from the total payable amount.
- Click "Design Mode" on the "Invoice" ribbon tab to exit design mode.
- Click the "Invoices" button on the "Invoice" ribbon tab to open the data list window.
- Click "Custom Fields" on the toolbar.
- Click "Add Field".
- Fill in the definition for the deposit field: Name - "Deposit"; Type - Decimal; Precision - 8; Scale - 2. Click OK to have Invoice Manager for Excel creates the custom field for you.
- Click "Add Field" again.
- Fill the definition for the deposit payment method field: Name - "DepositPaymentMethod"; Type - Text; Size - 50 (meaning you are able to store up to 50 characters in this field). Click OK to have Invoice Manager for Excel create the field for you.
- Close the dialog boxes and return to the Excel invoice form.
- Save the template by clicking the "Save" button on Excel quick access toolbar.
Now you can test the template to see if it works in the way you like. Since an invoice is not just a document of sales but it is essentially an accounting tool. It is utilized by an organization to make communication with the customer who is making a purchase or getting services. Every business has its own requirements regarding invoices. Fortunately, compared to Microsoft Word, or even Adobe Acrobat PDF and Photoshop, or OpenOffice programs, or some online accounting / billing or spreadsheet tools like Google Docs, Microsoft Excel wins in many areas when it comes to customizing a form. This, combined with the backend database, makes Invoice Manager for Excel an ideal invoice creator for small businesses. Feel free to download and try it to see how it works for you.
This template "c5078 Basic Service Invoice Sample with Deposit" does not modify the taxing features defined by the based template. So like the origin one, it has two taxes, GST and PST on the bottom of the form. To change this, click the Settings button, and then go to the "Taxes" tab. For a sample on how to add the deposit to the Sales Report, refer to c4055 Simple Invoice Template - Discount Amount on Sales Report. If you would like to create a selectable drop-down list for the newly added payment method field, visit the sample and tutorial at c4062 Simple Tax Invoice Sample with Tax Rate List.
Format and Specification
|Name||Basic Service Bill Sample with Deposit|
|Category||Service Invoice Template|
|Release Date||Tuesday, February 9, 2016|
|Format (XLS or XLSX)||.xlsx|
|Line Height (Points)||18.00|
|Papaer Size / Orientation||Portrait|
|Default Margins (Points)|
|System||Windows 7 and later, and Excel 2007 and later.|